The UK's Leading "Do it Yourself" Legal Website

County Court Fees

A cost which many people don't consider before bringing a claim is the Court Fee. This fee is an administrative charge which the Court makes for processing your claim or certain applications and forms surrounding it.

You may be exempt from paying Court Fees if you are receiving:

  • income support
  • income based job-seekers allowance;
  • the maximum Working Families Tax Credit or Disabled Person's Tax Credit;
  • Working Families Tax Credit or Disabled Person's Tax Credit where £71.10 or less per week has been deducted from the maximum credit.

Alternatively if you can show that the payment of a fee would involve undue hardship to you, the Court Manager may reduce the fee or waive it altogether.

If you are not sure whether you qualify for a waiver or reduction of the fee the court staff will be able to advise you.

To apply for an exemption or reduction form EX160 will have to be completed by you. These can be found in the DYJ Toolbox under County Court forms. You will have to make a separate application for each fee that you have to pay.
This is because each different stage of proceedings can incur a separate Court Fee, therefore the best way to look at how much has to be paid is to look at the stages individually.

To issue a claim form where your claim is for money only the fee depends on the amount being claimed.

Amount Claimed

Court Issued/Money Claim Online

Up to £300


£300 - £500


£500.01 - £1,000


£1,000.01 - £1,500


£1,500.01 - £3,000


£3,000.01 - £5,000


Most small claims will be claims for money. However, to issue proceedings where your claim is for something other than money the fee is £150.

For more information on starting your claim click here.

If you are being sued and want to make a claim against the claimant known as a 'counterclaim' the fee scale above applies to the amount you are counter claiming.

For more information on making a counterclaim click here.

When allocation questionnaires have to be returned a further fee is payable as follows:
Small claim for money of £1,500 or less no fee
Small claim for money where the claim is between £1,500 and £5,000 £35.00

This fee is payable by the claimant, except if the case is proceeding on a counterclaim alone. In that case it would be payable by the defendant.
The fee must be paid when the allocation questionnaire is returned to the Court, however as always there are exceptions to this rule.
If either;
1. the Court decides that an allocation questionnaire is not required; or
2. the Rules do not require an allocation questionnaire to be completed,
the fee must be paid:
a) within 28 days of filing the defence; or on the filing of the last defence if there is more than one defendant; or
b) within 28 days of expiry of the time for filing all defences.

WATCH OUT - If you do not pay the allocation questionnaire fee when required the Court can make an Order which may lead to your statement of case being 'struck out'. This would mean that you could not proceed with your claim (or counterclaim).
For more information on completing allocation questionnaires click here.

The hearing fee is payable by the Claimant except where the case is proceeding on a counterclaim alone, when it is payable by the Defendant. Like the allocation fee if not paid it can lead to a claim being ‘struck out.’

Amount Claimed

Court Issued/Money Claim Online

Up to £300


£300 - £500


£500.01 - £1,000


£1,000.01 - £1,500


£1,500.01 - £3,000


£3,000.01 - £5,000


Where a hearing date has been fixed and before the hearing date, the court receives notice in writing at least 7 days before the hearing date that the case is settled or discontinued the hearing fee will be refunded in full.

An applicant wishing to appeal must first of all seek the Court's permission. Whether or not you already have their permission will depend on the Court fee you have to pay.
If you do not have permission, the fee to file a notice of appeal or to ask for an extension of time to appeal is £100. Should the Court then decide not to give you permission to proceed with your application you will be refunded £50 of your fee.
If you already have the Court's permission to appeal then the fee is £50.
Appeals are a complicated business, for more information click here.

To apply for a judgment to be set aside - £75
To apply to vary a judgment or suspend enforcement - £35
To make an application on notice - £75
To apply for a summons or Order for a witness to attend - £35
To apply by consent, or without notice, for a judgment or Order - £40

Despite what the Court may order not everyone will be obliging. If this is the case then enforcement proceedings may have to be considered.
To issue a warrant of execution to recover a sum of money:
where the sum recovered is not more than £125 - £35
where the sum to be recovered is more then £125 - £55
To issue a warrant for recovery of land or property (possession) - £95
Where a warrant for recovery of land or goods also includes a claim for money, no additional fee is payable.
To issue a warrant of delivery - £95
To reissue a warrant of execution at a new address
except for a further attempt at enforcement
following suspension - £25

Attachment of earnings:
To issue an application for an attachment of earnings order - £65
On a consolidated attachment of earnings order, for every £1, or part of a £1, of the money paid into court, a fee of 10p is deducted from the money before it is paid out to you.

Charging Orders:
To issue an application for a charging order - £55

Garnishee Orders:
To issue an application for a Garnishee Order - £55

Judgment summonses:
To issue an application for a judgment summons - £95

Oral examinations:
To issue an application for an oral examination - £45

For more information on Enforcing Judgments click here

A fee is charged for making photocopies at the Court Office.
Documents held by the Court:
- for a photocopy of the first ten pages of a document: £5
- for a photocopy of each subsequent page of the same document: 50p per sheet
For copies of documents provided on computer disk or other electronic form: £5 per copy

To ask for a certificate of satisfaction or a request for cancellation when a debt is paid - £15

Click here to find out how to make a counterclaim.